What courses do you provide?
Supercharge Your Exam Preparation with Our Exclusive Subscriptions!
We understand that acing the LDS1 exam requires comprehensive and targeted study materials. That’s why we offer a range of subscription options to cater to your specific needs. Choose the bundle that suits you best and unlock the path to success:
Here is an example of our pre-recorded lecture video
Frequently asked questions?
Part 1 of the Licence in Dental Surgery (LDS) is comprised of two papers of single best answer (SBA) questions. Both Part 1 papers must be passed at one sitting for candidates to progress to Part 2.
The Part 1 LDS exam is normally held at least once per year in the UK.
The LDS1 exam is conducted remotely online. This means that you can take the exam from the comfort of your own home, provided you have a reliable internet connection and a camera. The online format allows the examiner to monitor your performance throughout the exam. For detailed information on how to participate in the remote examination, I recommend visiting the Dental Online Examinations Guidance page, which can be found at the following link:
Make sure to review the guidance thoroughly to understand the requirements and technical specifications for the remote exam. This will help ensure a smooth and successful experience when taking the LDS1 exam.
Check the below link for all future exam dates:
To book the LDS exam, please follow these steps:
- Eight weeks before the exam date, the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) will announce the date and time for LDS exam bookings. Stay updated with their announcements to ensure you don’t miss the booking window.
- Create an online account on the RCS website. Use the provided link (https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/register/) to register and set up your account. This account will be used for exam booking and other related activities.
- On the specified date and time for exam booking, log in to your RCS account. Navigate to the exam booking section and locate the LDS1 online application form. Fill in the required information and proceed to the payment step to secure your booking.
- The booking process operates on a first-come, first-served basis. At 12 pm (GMT) on the application opening date, the “Book Now” button will become available in the booking portal. Click on it to initiate the booking process.
- After completing the booking, your place in the LDS exam is secured. However, it is important to note that according to LDS Regulations, candidates must provide their eligibility documentation. Within two weeks of completing the application, you must submit scanned copies of your eligibility documents via email to [email protected]. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the RCS regarding the specific documents required for eligibility verification.
- Due to heavy traffic on the RCS website during the booking period, the website may experience temporary issues or crashes. If you encounter any difficulties, persevere, refresh the page, and complete the application form. This process may take up to 4 hours, so be patient and persistent.
It’s essential to closely monitor the announcements and instructions provided by the RCS to ensure you stay informed about the exam booking process. Following these steps will help you successfully book your place in the LDS exam and progress in your dental career.
ORE vs. LDS—Unlocking Your Dental Future!
When it comes to obtaining the coveted GDC number and practicing dentistry in the UK, both the ORE (Overseas Registration Exam) and LDS (Licentiate Dental Surgery) exams offer a similar outcome. Let’s dive deeper into the unique features of each exam and the added benefits they bring:
ORE: The ORE, conducted by the esteemed General Dental Council (GDC), is a rigorous exam that assesses your knowledge and skills in dentistry. Successfully completing the ORE grants you the right to practice dentistry in the UK. It serves as your gateway to a thriving dental career, enabling you to pursue your passion and contribute to the oral health of patients. For more comprehensive information on the ORE, please refer to the link provided.
LDS: The LDS exam, administered by the prestigious Royal College of Surgeons, not only grants you the right to practice dentistry in the UK but also bestows you with an additional title—Licentiate Dental Surgery (LDS). This distinguished title signifies your achievement and dedication to the field of dentistry, enhancing your professional standing. For a deeper understanding of the LDS exam, please consult the link provided.
Level Up Your Opportunities: Choose ORE for Maximum Access and Success!
When it comes to booking your exam, we highly recommend setting your sights on the ORE (Overseas Registration Exam). Why, you ask? Well, let us unveil the advantages that make ORE the ultimate choice for aspiring dental professionals like yourself.
First and foremost, ORE exams are conducted more frequently, giving you greater flexibility in selecting a date that suits your schedule. With more opportunities throughout the year, you can plan your preparation and revision with ease.
Not only that, but ORE also accepts a larger number of candidates per exam. This means your chances of securing a spot and advancing towards your dream career are significantly higher compared to the LDS (Licentiate Dental Surgery) exam.
The road to exam success begins with proper planning. Depending on your background, we recommend allocating the ideal amount of time to maximize your chances of acing the ORE1 exam.
If you’ve completed your BDS in English, buckle up for a focused 10-week journey. Our comprehensive curriculum covers both basic sciences and clinical dental subjects, ensuring you’re well-prepared to conquer every challenge.
For non-native English speakers or those new to dentistry in English, we suggest extending your preparation time to a solid 20 weeks. This allows ample opportunity to revise and become comfortable with clinical case-based scenarios, guaranteeing your confidence on exam day.
Don’t leave your success to chance—invest in the right timeframe to unleash your full potential. Start your countdown to triumph today!
For ORE-1 / LDS-1 preparation, I recommend the following books:
- Oxford Handbook of Applied Dental Sciences: This book provides a comprehensive overview of the applied dental sciences, covering topics such as anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, and more. It serves as a valuable reference for the basic science subjects tested in the ORE exam.
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Dentistry (7th edition): This handbook is a popular resource among dental students and practitioners. It offers practical guidance and concise information on clinical topics relevant to dentistry. It covers various specialties and provides clinical tips and guidelines.
- Scully’s Medical Problems in Dentistry (7th edition): This book focuses on medical conditions that can impact dental treatment. It provides insights into the management of patients with medical issues, helping you develop a comprehensive understanding of dental care in the context of various medical conditions.
- Master Dentistry: Volume 1: This book covers essential dental knowledge and clinical skills required for general dental practice. It provides a structured approach to different topics, including restorative dentistry, periodontology, endodontics, and more.
- Master Dentistry: Volume 2: Building upon the first volume, this book delves deeper into advanced topics in dentistry, including prosthodontics, orthodontics, oral medicine, and oral surgery. It offers detailed explanations and practical tips for these specialized areas.
- Essentials of Dental Radiography and Radiology: Radiography and radiology play a crucial role in dental practice. This book provides an understanding of dental imaging techniques, interpretation of radiographs, and the diagnostic process related to oral and maxillofacial radiology.
These books serve as valuable resources to supplement your ORE-1 preparation. Remember to consult the official exam syllabus and guidelines to ensure you cover all the necessary topics effectively. Additionally, it can be helpful to access online resources, practice questions, and mock exams to further enhance your preparation.
When it comes to preparing for the ORE (Overseas Registration Exam) and LDS (Licentiate Dental Surgery) exams, there are a few key differences to consider. While the dental subjects you need to revise for both exams are the same, the focus and scope of each exam vary slightly:
ORE Preparation: To excel in the ORE exam, you will need to cover both basic science subjects and clinical dental subjects. This means your preparation will encompass a broad range of topics, including subjects like anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, dental materials, and more. The ORE exam evaluates your knowledge and skills across various areas of dentistry, ensuring you have a comprehensive understanding of the field.
LDS Preparation: On the other hand, LDS exam preparation places a greater emphasis on clinical dental subjects. While the core dental subjects remain the same, LDS specifically focuses on evaluating your knowledge and competence in clinical aspects of dentistry. Notably, you won’t need to study physiology or embryology when preparing for LDS1, as these topics are not included in the exam
While many students opt for self-study, we know the secret to skyrocketing your success lies in our preparatory course.
Say goodbye to information overload and hello to targeted, effective revision. Our course equips you with insider knowledge on the exam’s question patterns, empowering you to prioritize the right topics. No more wasting time on irrelevant material!
Join the ranks of successful students who’ve streamlined their studies and achieved outstanding results. Enroll now to unlock the key to exam mastery and take charge of your future.
Absolutely! We understand that studying from printed materials can provide a more comfortable and convenient learning experience. You have the option to purchase the notes as a hard copy.
Please note that the hard copy version will reflect the most updated version available at the time of your purchase. We regularly update our notes every 6 months to align with the latest exam topics, ensuring you have the most relevant and current information. However, please be aware that purchasing a hard copy means you won’t have access to the continuous updates beyond your purchase date.
When acquiring the hard copy, you can choose between a colored or black and white version based on your preference. For further details and to make your selection, kindly click on the link provided.
Alternatively, if you prefer to have access to continuous updates and the convenience of an online platform, we recommend considering an online subscription for the course notes. This option will grant you uninterrupted access to all updates throughout your subscription duration.
Choose the option that suits your study style and preferences, and embark on your journey towards ORE1 success with confidence!